Question : wap push alert

Hi list!
I'm trying to send a wap alert to my phone and I have some doubts.

How I can send a wap alert to my phone?. I have implemented a Wap Gateway and all is right for wap, but I have problems trying to send alerts to my phone, I don't know how.

My first doubts are:
-What's is the difference between
and
the last is a pap protocol like the first? Which should I use?

-I have read in phone.com documents that you need to have a Suscriber ID to send a wap alert, but It depends on the browser gateway, If my phone doesn't have a Subsriber ID how can I send an alert?..with the ip?

-In a ppg's scenario. Which entity(s) are used to identifies the end-point device and are the resposibles for the process and final message delivery to the device? Some uses the sms-c, but what else you can have? a router?

-If my scenary would looks like it .. So, How can I send a wap push alert?
PI--pap/http-->PPG--ota/wsp-->router-->Packet Data Network-->Radio Tower-->My Phone

I will be grateful with any contribution,
Regards,
Sherly

Answer : wap push alert

Hi,

In order to send a WAP Push I would stick with the WAP Forum DTD. you can also get all the documents explaining how to structure a WAP Push document, and what all the parts mean form the http://www.wpaforum.org/ site. your first question only shows the first components of the DTD declarations, and we need to know the URLs which are indicated in the next part of the tag. Could you post the complete tags?

If you are asking "Why do I have 2 DTDs listed?" then that is different. A WAP Push comprises two XML documents. The first tells the PPG what to do with the Push. Essentially this is just a document containing the final destination address, although other XML elements are normally used.

The second XML document is the bit which actually arrives on the handset. This means that you have to supply both documents.

Finally. You need a point of egress in to the operator network. They are highly unliekly to let you have access to a GPRS router to connect directly to their subscriber handsets. to be quite honest you have more chance of walking on Mars. so how do you get round this? well, you should use the Kannel opensource WAP & SMS gateway. You configure this piece of software to use an ordinary handset or GSM modem to send the WAP Push from your server to the destination by SMS (that is how most operators do it anyway). Thus the handset has access to it's operator SMSC, and the WAP Push is routed from there by SMS.

Be warned that not many phones support WAPPush, and you can expect some serious trouble if you are going to talk directly to the WAP PPG. You need to also understand that Nokia do not support SL pushes. The essential reason for this seems to be laziness (IMHO).
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us