Question : DSL and Telco questions

Hey all, I have some questions, if you could give me an explanation of each of these terms and also give me a short list of popular equipment that would be used with each, I would appreciate it.  I would look it up myself, but I want someone's layman terms to describe it, so no links please.  Thanks!

dmarc (sp?)
dslam
paragain or paragame (sp)
CO (central Office)

Thanks all!

AP

Answer : DSL and Telco questions

dmarc (sp?)
dslam
paragain or paragame (sp)
CO (central Office)

demarc is where the telco's lines interface with those of another entity or another telco.  you'll also hear networkers and telco people refer to it as the location where their obligation essentially ends.  the oldschool synonym for this would be NTI.

dslam - you can think of this as a hub for DSL lines (it's really a multiplexer, but if you dont understand mux'ing and demux'ing lets skip that).  telco's must have numerous DSLAMs in order to service numerous DSL customers.  you will have a DSLAM per area/neighborhood generally.

im not sure what you mean with "pairagane" ive said it out loud a few times.. maybe if i heard the correct pronunciation it'd make sense.??..

CO is just that.. the telco's main offices.  generally you'll hear networkers use CO in reference to the termination points of lines.  if a guy installing your T1 says "they have to turn it up at the CO" it means that the line is good from your area, through the demarc, up to the CO.  this one's pretty self explanatory.

get back with me on the P-word, see if you can find the spelling for it..
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us