Question : Wireless connection goes blank after 24 hours. DLink wireless router and DLink wireless NIC card.

I have a Dlink PCI wireless NIC card connected to Dlink wireless router.   The router is connected to cable highspeed internet.  The thing is, whenever I leave my computer on for about 24 hours, the LAN connection goes blank.  The signal is still strong and it shows that I'm still connect to the WLAN, it's just that I can't go to any web pages.  I would either have to reboot, or go to MyComputer and do the disable/enable wireless NIC card routine to be able to surf the web again.  The signal is very strong and it shows that I've been connected for 20+ hours, it's just that I can't access the web.  This is driving me crazy. Please help.  

Answer : Wireless connection goes blank after 24 hours. DLink wireless router and DLink wireless NIC card.

It is possible that you are the experiencing that result of an AutoDisconnect process which is built into XP/2000 (you are using XP are you not..?)  You can change the timing on this with the following registry hack:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/194/

Change LAN Auto-disconnect Timeout (Windows NT/2000/XP):

Windows can be configured to automatically disconnect idle LAN sessions.  These are a set number of minutes.

Open your registry and find the key below.  Modify the value, or create a new string value, called 'Autodisconnect' and set it to equal the time in minutes before a session is disconnected.

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

(Note: Set the value to 0xffffffff to disable the disconnection function.)

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)  
  Autodisconnect REG_DWORD 0xffffffff (4294967295)  

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer

Registry Settings:
System Key: [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\
Parameters]
Value Name: Autodisconnect
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: 0 to 4,294,967,295 (0xffffffff) in minutes

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us