Question : Sharing violation with W2000Pro

Hello!

We have small network with 8 client (95,98 and NT4.0) and one server (WIN2000Pro). In server We store our CAD-files and digital pictures (jpeg).

We are using TCP/IP with fixed IPs and We are connected to the internet via ISDN-router (dial-up). That router is "gateway" and it does have IP-address.

Each and every time We have internet connection established, We are no longer able to access those CAD-, or jpeg-files. Instead We have this "sharing violation"-error jumping up about 45secs after trying to open file.
If there hasnt been any internet activity, there is no problems with opening files.

Only workaround is rebooting client. And the same time We can still open files from other client PCs, so problem is only between server and client.

There is one thing I like to point out...We usually have DWG-files (for autocad), native filetype of our CAD-system and those jpeg-files and all those are the "troublemakers" but DXF-files will still open while everything else wont. And those DXF-files dont have preview-option, so it makes Me wonder if files are somehow locked because they are opened kind of twice?

This problems has been buggin Us for many years and Iam totally out of any ideas to solve it, so please make my day! :)

Ps. There is small chance my English is somewhat horrible, but please try to tolerate it.

Yours, Jalmari T.

Answer : Sharing violation with W2000Pro

I think your problem may be DNS.  I had a similar issue once, and it was solved when I removed DNS server info from the clients' configuration.  However, I don't know if your router will know what to do with DNS queries.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us