Question : Sharing broadband internet with a hub?

Hi Guys

I hope somebody can help me.

I recently set up a pc upstairs aswell as downstairs to share telewest broadband. I bought a peice of hardware on ebay hoping that it will do the job for me... im sure its not a router but I think its a Hub not sure....... the name says NexHub HA050 it has on the back an uplink port and 4 other ethernet ports.

I know that i shouldnt use the uplink port because thats for using another router or hub....... I have connected an RJ45 cable from the modem to a port on the hub and conected one pc to another port and the internet works fine on that.. if I connect the other pc to the hub.. the internet doesnt work, although it is getting reckognised because the port light on the hub lights up and the light on the back of the NIC card flashes!!.... is there any configuring I need to do to enable internet sharing on both machines?..... i have also registred mac address for the other computer... here is a link to the hub that i bought if i havnt explained the hardware properly http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....egory=176&rd=1.

I hope someone can help me .

Thankyou

Answer : Sharing broadband internet with a hub?

Hi tazzy_dude,

Your problem is quite simple.  Because your hub is not a router it will not help you to lock the Dynamic IP from your ISP and provide the internal IP address to each PC.  I would suggest you to purchase a DSL/CABLE Router which is fairly in expensive.  It will definitly solve your problem.

If you shut the other computer down and turn the other computer down should be able to connect that is why you need a router not hub.

Best Regards,
Tbird008
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us