Question : Offline Files: Unable to make XXXFile available offline Incorrect Function.

I have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 new server set up with a computer desktop and a notebook mapped to a share off of the server. I have both the desktop and my notebook set to work offline. The problem is that they regularly go offline. I am working to find out why that is. It may be related to the main problem that I have. As an additional side note: I would like to map a drive to but I am just a little nervous about moving my documents.  

But my main problem is that when I do a sync from my notebook I get multiple errors in the results tab of the sync folder

They indicate that:
Offline Files [\\nofear.sytek.local\d$ on Nofear.sytek.local]: Unable to make XXXfile.doc available offline on
\\Nofear.sytek.local\d$\Users Shared Folders\SteveUrich. Incorrect function.

I don't know what the problem is, I am concerned that my DNS might not be set up correctly.

V/R

Steve
310-308-4489

Answer : Offline Files: Unable to make XXXFile available offline Incorrect Function.

As for the DNS question: your clients should be using the SBS 2003 server as their primary DNS server, and the DNS services on the SBS 2003 server should be configured with Active Directory integrated zones.  (Optionally use your ISPs DNS servers as forwarders.)

The issue you are describing looks like an offline folder cache problem.  Does this error occur right at the beginning of a sync, or somewhere in the middle?  If it is happening immediately, you may be right about DNS -- it would suggest that the client is not able to reach the mapped drive.  Also check to see if your 'Offline Settings' on the share are set correctly.

On the server:
Right-click and open Properties on the shared folder, open the Sharing tab, click the Offline Settings button.

If the problem occurs midstream, you should try clearing your offline folder cache and resync:

On the laptop:
Open My Computer, open the Tools menu, select Folder Options and open the Offline Files tab: click Delete Files.  Reboot the machine and resync the files.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us