Question : Nslookup server 2003

Hi,

I work for a school and i am having problems with a piece of software that needs to connect to a external server.  to access the WAN our school has to go through the Local Education Authority's routers and firewalls, this is the same for internet access.
My question is is there anything that would stop me being able to Nslookup external sites, as when i try to use this function i get the message server failed. Yet I can nslookup any address internally.
My second  quetsion is if their is nothing within the Local Education Authority's routers or firewalls thats stopping this is their something within DNS that is causing the problem.
We are using Server 2003 and all clients are XP Pro.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Answer : Nslookup server 2003

>>My question is is there anything that would stop me being able to Nslookup external sites

Possibly a firewall.  They could be requiring you to use their DNS servers for name resolution and only allow DNS queries to pass from the IP of the DNS server to the outside.

>>My second  quetsion is if their is nothing within the Local Education Authority's routers or firewalls thats stopping this is their something within DNS that is causing the problem.

I suspect the firewalls.  You can go to www.dnsstuff.com to troubleshoot DNS externally.

Hope this helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us