Question : Resetting/Reconfiguring PIX 501 + Physical Connection

Hi.  I recently bought a PIX 501 to play with on my home network.  Unfortunately, I bought it from someone on ebay who did not send me the proper documentation, software, and did not give me the username and password!  It's like buying a car without the keys!  Anyways, I have been looking through documentation on-line and trying to get this to work and can't quite figure it out.

First, I want to make sure I have it connected properly?  I have my DSL modem connected to the PIX 501 on port 0 with a straight through CAT5.  Port 1 on the 501 runs into the WAN port on my Linksys Wireless Router using a Cross-over cable.

Assuming this is correct, and not knowing the IP Address, I have been consoling into the PIX.  I can reach it and try to reset the password using the following instructions I found on Cisco's website, but am failing miserably.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

After resetting the PIX and hitting ESC as it boots up, the monitor> prompt comes up.  I'll comment on the below syntax a bit to try to make the following as clear as possible.

monitor> address 192.168.1.107
address 192.168.1.107

The above address should be the address I wish to give the internal PIX interface?
In my case 192.168.1.107

monitor> server 192.168.1.106
server 192.168.1.106

The above address should be where the np63.bin file is held?
In my case 192.168.1.106 which is the laptop that I am consoled to.

monitor> file np63.bin
file np63.bin

The above is the file name.

monitor> gateway 192.168.1.102
gateway 192.168.1.102

At first I did not think this mattered because it is all on my LAN, but now I'm wondering?  I tried it with and without the gateway of 192.168.1.102 and it still did not work the I got to the next piece.....

monitor> ping 192.168.1.106
Sending 5, 100-byte 0xf8d3 ICMP Echoes to 192.168.1.106, timeout is 4 seconds!!!!!

This is where the problem occurs.  I placed the np63.bin on my laptop and can ping everything on my LAN from it, but through telnet I cannot.  The ping test fails, so of course everything below does as well.

The outside interface IP address that comes up on the PIX when I boot it up is 66.0.128.51.  I would assume this is the problem?  It cannot communicate with the internal IP to grab the file?

Any ideas?  I appreciate any help you can give me.  I hope it's something that I am merely
overlooking.

Thanks
Kevin

Answer : Resetting/Reconfiguring PIX 501 + Physical Connection

Before you do this, try using Dogpile to find out about the Pix, then proceed:

How to reset Pix password and router:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/cisco_firewall_tips639.html

02.)  your cascading the routers; linksys doesn't like this configuration.
03.)  you should consider going from modem to a linux box and out through a second NIC to one router WAN IN Port, then simply connect the two routers together, either cascade or port to port.  Routers can have differnet scopes, if they are also DHCP [as the linksys probably is], but everyone needs the same gateway internally.

Try some reading at the source, Cisco.

The following commands will cause the PIX to get the password reset image from the TFTP server and use it to reset the password:

monitor> interface 0
monitor> address 192.168.1.1
monitor> server 192.168.2.69
monitor> gateway 192.168.1.1
monitor> file np63.bin
monitor> tftp

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us