Question : New Router/Modem Port 80?

Good Day Experts.

I hope this question has landed in the correct section.

In my question history, you would see that I've been quite, uhm, energetic with inquiries about security.

I've changed ISP providers as one solution to chill me out, some:)

I have some quick follow up questions.  They are organized, so that any given answer might well address the next.

A)
My new ISP provided me with an Actiontec router/modem. I have a password for the router.

Firefox is popping up that just about every request wants to come through Port 80. If I click through the Firefox prompt and allow the URL, proper, without port 80, things work fine.

Does this have to do with an Actiontec router in an LAN serving as some sort of server? The customer support was clueless about this   question.

I've never had a LAN setup, before.

B)
The console will read something like, 'wide area discovery shut down'-then have the router IP listed with Port 53 as the issue. I get this message when I'm connecting from the desktop to a LAN ethernet port.

C)
The IPs of the DNS servers are the same two as my previous provider. These show up as the first entry in the path that shows the router/modem when I restart with default settings. Does having the same two DNS servers from 2 different providers make sense?

D)
I've never had a wireless network, before. It is WEP protected and I've disabled the network  visibility from showing as an option in my neighborhood.

I'm attaching a jpeg representing the console messages. Again, I'm a newbie for using airport and having wireless in my home. Probably all normal console entires for the airport stuff.

I'm going to give Apple a call about the 802 'stuff' that I don't no how to apply.
No worries in this post.

(Please Note: I am aware of the log files showing a consistent error about Family Controls as nothing I believe is related to this post. The error happens with two user accounts, neither with Parental Controls. )

Thanks.

As always, feedback about how the question is posted is helpful.

Answer : New Router/Modem Port 80?

I think that wireless is fairly secure running wpa2 or wpa. And SO convenient.   WEP however can quite casually be hacked by an expert running the right tools. If you don't need the wireless, disable it in the router gui. Basically if you set the wireless security to wpa on the router gui, you will just need to enter the password on the mac when you select the network. Hiding the ap doesn't provide that much security. They are still visible to a wireless sniffer when the network sends data. If you set a good password on wpa2, there are no current ways to hack into the network.

If the DNS is still the same after switching ISPs, it is likely that the MAC is still holding on to the old dns addresses. Perhaps they are hard set in the configuration, or the mac is using cached dns info from an old dhcp lease. The 192.168.1.0 network being the same could permit that. As you see, it still works. Most networks let DNS pass and anyone can use anyone's DNS server for the most part.

If you go into the router configuration gui you can see what your isp suggests to use.

I don't see the dns address in the logs, the 224.0.x.x thing is a multicast address, I imagine this is the mac setting up rendzevous, a cool protocol I don't understand. Multicast ispretty complex, but this is coming from the mac not the network.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us