Question : Problem with DHCP - BAD_Address Messages

I have a Windows Server 2000 machine with SP3.  It is configured as my DHCP server with unlimited leases.  I deactivated this scope and duplicated the scope on a newer computer.  I tried both a Windows Server 2000 SP4 computer and a Windows Server 2003 SP1 computer.

The problem is, no one can connect, they get "Limited or no connectivity" messages on their Windows XP Pro machines and the DHCP on the server shows "BAD_Address" messages.  I didn't expect this so after "moving" DHCP to the new server, I removed it from the old server.

From reading articles, it appears that I'm getting this because the clients are still trying to get their IP address from the old server due to the unlimited setting.  Can this be fixed?  I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall DHCP and restore the DHCP DB from a backup.  Then, set the lease to expire in say 1 day then over a weekend deactivate it and activate it on a new server - will this work?

Also, if you install DHCP after installing service packs, do the service packs have to be reapplied and Windows Update performed again?

Thanks!
  Doug

Answer : Problem with DHCP - BAD_Address Messages

Hi

To check for unauthorised DHCP distributors on your network then run the DHCPloc cmd line tool.  This should locate all the DHCP servers on your network with the unauthorised ones appending a **.  How are you connecting to the internet, if you have some sort of NAT dhcp allocator running this may cause incorrect ip addressing to machines, as well communicating with servers on the network.  I would exclude the IPs for servers, don't reserve them.
I would also change the class ID to default dhcp with the earlier cmd suggested.  I don't know a lot about bootp but it is only really necessary for broadcasting DHCP requests, you don't want to be using it on your network in conjunction with DHCP.  I think it is the NICs causing the issue here not the server.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/5a29ba10-5613-471c-bfc8-ce25c0ff3fa01033.mspx?mfr=true

DL
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us