Question : Windows Delayed Write Error and Retreive data from Exchange Server Error

This problem deals with a Microsoft Server running 2003 operating system and a xp workstation.

I have techs checking the switches, but in the mean time there are several users that appear to get 2 errors that I am trying to narrow down some possible fixes for them.

The first error when a user is logged into the xp workstation is:
"Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all data for the file
\\FS02\Users\Username\ProfData\History\History.IE5\MSHist012007091820070919\Index.dat.
The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network."

Now lets just say the switches and the workstations duplex settings are fine, and no errors are showing up on the ports, and let's say that all the user's profile and home directory permissions are all set correctly, and at that time no network outages were happening, and the disk caching is enabled on the File Server's drives, what could be causing the issue??

The Second question is with the same network, dealing with the workstation trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Server, which is 2003. I don't have a screen shot of that one, but that is the second problem we are looking into. Any one have any suggestions for either error?

Answer : Windows Delayed Write Error and Retreive data from Exchange Server Error

The Exchange question has not real information in it, if you repost that somewhere else let me know I'd be happy to help you look into that too...

However, it sounds like from what you've said, that if your XP Workstation is having Delayed Write messages come up on it's desktop and your server is not having them that the problem might be your NIC on your workstation or perhaps the cable or switch (as you had mentioned before).  It's definitely hardware of some sort and I would look at that workstation first... try throwing nother NIC in that box and I'll bet those messages will go away.

Alternatively, make sure the duplex settings on the NIC match those your network can support (IE: if your NIC is set to Full Duplex and your switch can't support it it could cause an issue... conversely if you are at half duplex and you have a shiney new Cisco switch that is full duplex on the ports your NIC should be set either to Auto Detect or Full Duplex)  Also, if you are set to Auto Detect, try setting it to Full Duplex.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us