Question : Need help securing a WAP

Hello Experts!

I have purchased a wireless access point (WAP) device for my PC to allow some game systems to connect to it.  I was able to successfully get the game system connected and running but am concerned about the security measures in place since the WAP can also be used for other PCs to connect, etc.

The product is the "Datel WiFi Max" (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b8-49-en-70-1rlu.html)  It plugs in via a USB port on the computer and has a thumb drive shaped device that plugs into a stand and works as a wireless antenna.  It uses the existing Internet connection on the PC to connect other devices (game systems, other laptops, etc) to the Internet.

It comes with some bundled software that is a little bit quirky in design but is good enough to get the system up and running.  So far, I have enabled WEP encryption between the 2 devices and created a unique 64-bit encryption code.  Also, i have renamed the default name of the WAP to a unique name.  In addition, I have recorded the MAC address from my game system and have enabled MAC address filtering on the device and added the MAC address value from my system into the allow list.

Right now, I am doing all of my configuration through the included software that comes with the WAP (ZDWLan is the name, i think).  In Windows, it just says the connection is firewalled, etc but I haven't done any add'l config there except for removing 'File and Print Sharing' from the networking setup.

Can anybody offer some more advice for securing this?  For example, is there more that I should do through Windows or other steps in general that I should take to secure this wireless connection?  In the ZDWLan software, it says I can change the system type between 'Open System' and 'Shared Key'.  I'm not sure about that one either.

I want to ensure that no one can snoop onto my PC through my game system (if i'm gaming online, etc) and also want to ensure that no one can access my PC through my wireless connection (WAP).  I just want the wireless connection to work with my game system and nothing else.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can offer on this issue.  I am assigning maximum points as I realize this is a tough question.

Answer : Need help securing a WAP

You did enable  WEP encryption so you are basically tight up your security. 64 bit encryption is good enought for home user to protect your privacy. Most of the time, the target of hacker is not personal home user PC unless you are running sensitive information from top secret agent, but I don't think it is your case because the equipment for those TS agent are hardward encrypted, and VPN encrypted.... You are good to go at this configuration and don't worry much about some one snoop on your PC. Anyway, another suggestion for your home PC is just arround the up to date anti virus software, anti spyware enabled .... that's it!
You don't have to remove file and print sharing to protect your PC unless you don't want to share your files.

K
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us