Question : Extend wireless signal using second router

I am currently using Linksys router (WRT54G) for all my wiressless connection and I like to know if I can use my another spare wireless router from Netgear (WGR614) to extend the wireless signal ?

How to do it ? Thank you.

Answer : Extend wireless signal using second router

- use same ssid (as i recommended in my fist post), channel 5 channels apart from each other, as others suggested.

- connect both wireless routers by wire. Don't use the uplink on either one, use one of the ports you would connect computers inside your network to. The uplink only compicates things, especially if it is configured to act as an router. At an wrtg54 the uplink/wan/internet port is seperated by some empty space from the "normal" ports. Also it is probably labelled as "internet", as it is at mine. Judging from some pictures found with google the internet/wan port at the WGR614 is also seperated by some space from te other "normal" ports. I am 99 % sure the cable should not be an crossover cable (judging from my experience and some posts about your router found with google)

- disable dhcp on one of them, keep it enabled on the other

now to troubleshoot it:

- connect a computer to each router (preferrably by wire) and ping the ip of computer1 from computer2 and vice versa. If that works, the wire connection is fine.
- now try the same with wireless. or if you have only one wireless device, ping from the wireless device on location A to a computer on location B. Now move the wireless device from location A to lo location B and ping a computer at location A.
- if it does not work, try pinging the routers from various locations instead of computers behind the routers to determine where the problem is.

Be sure to ping by ip to rule out name resolution problems.

I
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us