Question : Other Windows workgroup computer is not accessible

Hi,
I have very simple Workgroup here in my home where I have two computers (Computer1 and Computer2) joined to this group. I can see both computers from "View workgroup computers" and I have shared some resources (one folder from both computers) to the workgroup.

I can explore Computer2 shared folder from Computer1 but not vice versa. When I try to access Computer1 (doubleclick Computer1 from "View workgroup computer") I get an error which sais:

"\\Computer1 is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Logon failure: user account restrictions. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced"

Well, I don't know what is actually wrong here...?

- I have shared these folders same way from both computers.
  I don't know why, but somehow sharing forms doesn't look same in these computers. When sharing folder (right click folder and clicking Sharing and security...) in Computer1 there is five different tabs (General, Sharing, Security, Web Sharing, Customize) in form when in Computer2 there is only three tabs (General, Sharing, Customize). Hmmm... if I remember right I installed IIS to the Computer1 some time ago... maybe this is the reason?
- Both computers have Windows XP Professional (SP1) installed.

I haven't played with Windows networks a lot, so I could use some help here! I suppose this isn't very difficult one but I'm getting quite frustrated here...

/majala

Answer : Other Windows workgroup computer is not accessible

>>I guess security level of the sharing isn't the best possible at the moment...
that is true, but how secure do you need it? if it is just your two machines, and you trust the users of both mahcines then it should be no problem
I would setup sone alarm on both machines
www.zonelabs.com
free
If you want more security, then you need to add the users from one mahcine to the other, disable the guest account,
on the XP machine

Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Local Security Policy

Security Settings

Sharing Mode- Change this to "Classic Mode - Local users Authenticate as Themselves" (as opposed to "Guest only" the default model)

this fix will be applied after a restart

See:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/506.asp?frame=true

then when  you log on to one machine, these credentials will be used to check to see if you have permission to access the share (of course you wil have to add those users to the permissions to the shares)
On my home network, I let the guest account work (but I trust my wife LOL)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us