Question : Global Catalog problem....domain users cannot log in.

Ok.  This is a weird one.  I'm in doing the final bit of transferring in moving all my data from the old 2000 server to the new 2003 server.  I transferred all FSMO roles to the new server (RID, PDC, and Infrastructure masters all read as the new server).  I went into Site and Services and made sure that the new server was set as a Global Catalog, because I know that domain users cannot log in with a global catalog server.  The 2003 server has been set as a global catalog for several weeks now.

I demote my old FSMO/Global Catalog server.  I receive the warning stating that if this is the global catalog server, please make sure there is another set or the domain users will not be able to log on.  I double-checked to make sure that it was set.  It was.  So I continue to demote my old FSMO/Gloabl Catalog to finish removing it from the domain.  Then BOOM.  None of my domain user accounts can log on.  I go to create a new account on the 2003 server and it tells me account cannot be created because the global catalog server in unavailable.

What the????  I did everything right....according to Sites and Services, this IS MY GLOAL CATALOG server.  And yet, trying to do anything from the same controller gives me an error about the global catalog?

I've done this a dozen times...I've done nothing different this time than any other.  Anyone have an idea what could be screwball here?  Obviously I need this fixed soon.  I'll keep looking in case I stumble on an answer but because this is important, I am posting here early so that anyone that has seen this can point me in the right direction to get my users able to log back on.  (At least I picked the weekend for this).

James

Answer : Global Catalog problem....domain users cannot log in.

James,

I have MS involved.  Need to run a utility to collect some logs.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us