Question : Windows XP workgroup network : workgroup computers not visible

Hi, I have just upgraded an existing win98 network on 10base2 (coaxial) cable, to cat5E network, upgrading machines to XP. Only two machines can see and interact with one another. I have switched on netbios over tcp/ip, disabled the xp internet firewall and manually assigned TCP/IP addresses in the 192.168.1.X category, with appropriate subnet. THe two computers that do work seem to be able to function without problems, and intermittently see two of the other machines, but I am never able to "see" or access the workgroup from the remaining three computers. At the times that I see the other machines from either working machine, I get an access denied, you may not have permissions. I have browsing started, and anonymous access allowed for everyone. Simple file sharing has been switched off and permissions set at the drive root. I have tried a number of different approaches,that have been suggested, but none have resolved the issue. I note that the machines that don't work have sent packages, but have not received any. I cannot ping the machines that I can't see. I also have enabled lmhosts lookup. Advice would be appreciated.I have read similar earlier posts but none seem to have a resolution for this set of problems

Answer : Windows XP workgroup network : workgroup computers not visible

>>when I connect one of the "faulty machines" to the switch, using a known "good" cable, the data light on the adapter is on all the time, whereas with the working machines, it flashes - does this give any further info
yes, further indication the cable is the problem
100 mbit networks need 568 spec cable (eliminates cross talk between twisted pairs)
http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-6265-1041334.html

You might get away with non standard wiring in a 10mbit network, but 100mbit is much less forgiving
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us