Question : Keep losing internet connection on XP pc

My internet connection drops every couple mins....to the point where I either have to disable/enable the adapter under network connections or unplug & enable it....constantly to get my connection working again. K....I have an 8300 Dell Dimension Windows XP SP2 client pc using Dell Trumobile 1450 wireless adapter managed w/ Zero Wireless Config. The host pc is running XP Pro SP2....dlink DI-624 rev C router, Comcast Broadband, Motorola SB5100 modem. All the drivers & firmware have been updated. The host pc has a connection....but, now the host pc is having some issues...dropping a connection...reconnecting...but not to the extent of the client pc..,..maybe related to Network Magic I dl'd in a desperate attempt to fix my network problems....no idea....seemed to work fine b4 that.

This issue w/ the client pc is sort of ongoing....lasts for a while....goes away....returns out of nowhere....sometimes accompanied by things like my computer seriously lagging & crashing in general....which is what is happening now. In the past I had error msgs...like prismsvr.exe issues....so I deleted the file/application.....had error msgs like svchost.exe app needs to close & generic host process for Win 32 services problems needs to close....I did all the typical stuff...scans...cleaning up /regedit....set windows updates to manual...deleted temp files....dl'd updates....ran regsvr32 .dll's.....renamed software distribution to SDold....these things each seemed to fix the problems for about a week. When I upgraded to Norton 360....had the same connection issues...so I installed the add-on pack....again the problems seemed to go away for a while.

I've also done all the obvious things....uninstalling/reinstalling the adapter....router back to mostly default settings w/ wpa-psk...setting up the network all over...checking cables...restoring my pc....reformating the drive at one point....disabled zero wireless & let my adapter manage....etc...I'm just clueless at this point. I've ping'd in pcconfig. Truly I feel like it's a software issue more than anything....b/c...I'm getting other wierd possibly related things like my desktop turning white w/ a restore active desktop msg....and crash after crash....but no error msgs...at all. I haven't added new software or anything to my pc recently...but I've dl'd a number of updates off ms when it was set to auto. Any ideas would b helpful....b/c I'm going nuts!

Answer : Keep losing internet connection on XP pc

Hi Coco514  lets start with a spywar scan please, this problem with the active desktop  used to exist in windows 98 when an object was added to the desktop incorrectly, in your case it could be that as well and also be some kind of malware
Delete all your history and temporary internet files.
It coudl also point to a corrupted User profile.
download HijackThis 1.99.1,from the direct link top right corner
http://www.hijackthis.de/
save it to a folder on your desktop and then install to that.
run the scan and save a log but dont fix until after you have analized
copy the entire log and paste it there as well>>   http://www.hijackthis.de/
below the panel  hit analyze, now just scroll down to
have a look at the results of the analyzed log.

Look in control panel administrative tools event viewer applicatiosn errors
run a system file checker at start run >  sfc /scannow press enter

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
With internet dropping do you have a scanner or printer plugged in?
Have you rebooted the router?

Norton is also high on my list of the culprit. I have seen 85% of these issues resolved by uninstalling Norton and using a frindlier AV such as AVG.
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
AVG free
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download886.html

Did you find any malware after all these scans?
Sounds like a quick fix is to run a repair reinstall.
Perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?

You will need the COA key on the sticker and the xp setup disc that is installed on the computer
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.
When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
 Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
 Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
Good Luck one way or another these will find a solution.
Merete
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us