Question : My network connection, it's gone!

Hey everybody,

I've got the weirdest problem. I was happily surfing the web, browsing some tech sites, when about an hour ago, my network connection just disappeared, not to return so far. My network adapter seems to still function, but it can not connect to my firewall, or to my DSL modem. The DSL modem has DHCP enabled, and the computer I'm currently sitting on is happily continuing to surf the web through it. When I plug the other computer into it, it doesn't get an IP address assigned to it. When I plug the non-functioning computer into the firewall (which uses static IPs) and set the IP, gateway etc., I get zilch either. I'm not able to ping either the firewall or modem from the problem pc.

I've got Windows XP SP1 installed on it, and I have not been able to find any sign of viruses or other malware, though I haven't checked it thoroughly yet (it's kind of hard without an internet connection).

As I'm not familiar with this kind of problem, I have no real idea where to begin looking for a solution. Therefore, I was hoping somebody could guide me through some possibilities of what happened, and how to fix it.

Regards,

NeoTeq

Answer : My network connection, it's gone!

Might need to run the Winsock fix on the XP box?

Other than that does sounds like NIC has died, presumably you have switched cables/ports already to check phyisical stuff.

When you look at netstat -e from a command prompt do you get any packets in our out -- run it twice and compare the numbers.

Steve
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us