Question : Set up wireless router through wired adsl modem router

I recently took delivery of a wireless router, 8011g and some wireless cards. The Wireless router is a INEXQ or something like that.... The wired adsl router is a Binatone

I already had a router (wired) which has an ADSL modem built in. This router was already set up and working perfectly. I had set up port forwarding for things like Bittorrent and connecting to my computer remotely. All was well.

When i got the wireless router i followed the instructions and first plugged in the power supply. Then i plugged in the wireless router (via ethernet cable) to my computer and the old non-wireless router with the internet connection i plugged into the wireless router. All according to instructions.

Now that the Wired router was plugged into the wireless router and the wireless router was then plugged into my computer physically, i accessed the wireless routers config page in IE and looked on in horror at the options presented to me.

I managed to set up the wireless router so that i could physically uplug the ethernet cable from it to my computer and the old adsl router was being sent through the wireless router and then onto my computer wirelessly. (Hope any readers are still with me).

Finally, i unplugged the whole lot and took it to the best position in my house, plugged the wireless and wired adsl routers in and went back to my computer, fingers crossed, hoping for connectivity.

It came, then it went, then it came back, ad infinitum. For no apparent reason, it would all be connected and then suddenly i'd get a yellow baloon saying "windows cannot connect to the wireless network", when as far as i was aware, nothing had changed in terms of settings or signal strength.

It's a bloody nightmare and i think i'm finally there because it's now not disconnecting from my computer randomly. I've set it up to use WEP encryption as it was the easiest to understand. For all my searchings of google i cannot find somewhere that explains how to set up a wired adsl router with a wireless router in terms of how the IP's get sent to each other. Is NAT necessary on either or both routers? How does WEP and WPA work in relation to the set up i have and what the hell is the Windows "set up my wireless network" even bothering with? It's completely useless!

I can't seem to find anything relevant. Can anyone lend a hand in terms of pointing me in the right direction?

Answer : Set up wireless router through wired adsl modem router

You need to set the IP address for the same subnet of the lan ip of wired router

ie: wired router ip address: 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

your wireless router ip can be any  between 192.168.0.2-254  with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

your dns server and isp router will be the lan address of the router, in this example 192.168.0.1.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us