Question : SBS 2003 Network - Monitor network / internet traffic of client machines by individual users.

I am looking for a solution to manage internet use by my users. I would like to just view the internet trafic of the users, such as IE 2006 & 2007, messanger, ICQ, Yahoo chat, and IP games such as MUDD. I am not looking to prevent anything I just wanna a know what people are spending there time on. I have an Internet & email policy in place but no way to enfore it other than walking around and looking at screens.

I am running on a SBS 2003 server (MPC NetFrame 600) with two other storage servers on the network. I have around 30 clients 8 with IBM laptops and the rest MPC client pro machines. The SBS server handles the DHCP and is the only DC on the domain.

The network is setup starting at the T1 line with a D-link (DI-624) as the gateway router the to the main backbone switch (NetGear JGS516) which feeds to the printers, 3 servers, and 3 switches that serve the clients (two NetGear JGS516, and NetGear FSM726S each is in differnt parts of the building).

I do not want to add any new hardware if possible, I have a had a few net people come in and try to sell me some silly expense items that I do think I need?   I know i can do a search on google and find a bizzilian things but I need something that wil work, I cannot spend a ton of time on this nor money.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answer : SBS 2003 Network - Monitor network / internet traffic of client machines by individual users.

You can try with opensource web based ntop -extra application ....

http://www.openxtra.co.uk/downloads/ntop-download.php

Regards,

V.K.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us