Question : NetGear FVS328 & ProSafe VPN Client - DNS Problem?

Hi,

Scenario:
At a customer's office I have just replaced a cheap D-Link router with a NetGear FVS328 VPN Firewall router.  I then installed the NetGear Prosafe VPN Client software on a WinXP Pro laptop.  The purpose of the VPN is so an employee, who lives 50 miles away, can use the laptop to connect over DSL from his home, and not have to drive to the office every day.

Problem:
I have gotten the laptop to connect perfectly through the VPN tunnel by using the Prosafe VPN Client software.  However, I can only communicate with the network by using IP addresses.  As far as I can tell, the laptop is not receiving DNS resolution from the Win2K3 Server.  I enabled a virtual adapter in the client software, which created a new network connection in WinXP.

This connection should be managed from within the NetGear VPN Client Software, but I don't see a place to specify a DNS server's IP, so I tried specifying the DNS server's IP address in the connection's TCP/IP properties (through Windows, not the NetGear software).  However, when I choose to connect through the client software, those settings are blanked out again.

It seems that there must be some way to make the DNS work by using NetGear's software, but I don't see how.  Any help will be well appreciated.  Let me know if I need to provide more information.

Thanks,
WP

Answer : NetGear FVS328 & ProSafe VPN Client - DNS Problem?

I had a similar problem accessing Exchange over a vpn.  Turned out I had to add a static entry in the DNS server for the exchange server to be accessd over the vpn. The Outlook profile that used the server name then worked.  You might just try adding the server you can't access statically to the DNS.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us