Question : How could I improve the logon performance from WINXP workstation to the WIN2K server?

How could I improve the logon performance from WINXP workstation to the server?

I run a WIN2K server with Active Directory. There are 20 work stations,  a few workstations are WIN 2K, the others are WINXP. All data are stored on the server. I log on from any of the WIN2K workstations to the server, it only takes me 40 seconds, but if I log on from any of WINXP workstations to the server, it takes me about 3 minutes. If I log on to any of WINXP workstations, it only takes me about 40 seconds. How could I improve the logon performance from WINXP workstation to the server?

THANKS!

Answer : How could I improve the logon performance from WINXP workstation to the WIN2K server?

So, if you log on to a Win2K box as yourself, it takes about 40 seconds, if you log onto any WinXP box it takes 3 minutes? This doesn't sound like a roaming profile issue to me since it's platform specific. Are the WinXP boxes fairly new? Did the problem just start? What type of network equipment do you have, Cisco? If so, is portfast enabled on all ports on your switch?

If the XP boxes are fairly new, check and see if they came with standard 10/100 nics or the new 10/100/1000 nics. We've had trouble with the 10/100/1000 nics autonegotiating and have to manually set their speed/duplex at both ends.

HTH,
Kris.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us