Question : Network cable buried underground 2,600 feet. What do I use?

I have two buildings 2,600 feet apart with a conduit underground, currently there is not a cable in the conduit but I plan to pull one when I decide what cable to use. I need to connect these two building so the computers in each building are on a common network. What do I use and how do I do it?

Many Thanks,

Jered

Answer : Network cable buried underground 2,600 feet. What do I use?

You have no choice except to use Fiber. For that distance, I'd recommend single mode fiber. If you're going to have it pulled, pull a multi-pair cable so that you have extra pairs if/when you need them, and for resiliency.
Due to the difficulty and the expense of the equipment to terminate the fiber, I highly recommend that you have a professional cable vendor pull it and terminate it for you.
Once you have it in place, it all depends on your LAN switches that you have in place. Do they have SFP/GBIC slots? If yes then just order a long-haul/Singlemode SFP/GBIC. If not, then you need a SM fiber to copper media converter. Depends on if your switches are 10, 100, or Gigabit copper ports. Canary has good product, so does Planet. You'll also need the appropriate fiber patch cables on the ends...
I usually get all my fiber supplies, including media coverters, from L-com  http://www.l-com.com
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us