Question : Connecting to insecure wireless networks with XP SP1

Hi there... I have access points all on the same SSID that all connect to the internet like a big giant hotspot, so I want them to be setup in an open configuration, with no WEP enabled. The problem is, I just got this new tablet PC with XP and SP1 installed. The issue is that SP1 changes the way XP works with wireless networks to the point that you cannot connect to insecure wireless networks without manually specifying you wish to connect to the insecure network each time. Each time. This is lame. I need a registry hack or something that will allow my tablet to connect to the access points without having to check the "allow me to connect to the selected wireless network, even though it is not secure" checkbox each and every time.

Just to be clear, I don't want to enable WEP on the access points, I just want my dumb childproof XP SP1 box to connect to insecure access points by default.

Thanks,
Amal Graafstra
Morpheus Inc.

Answer : Connecting to insecure wireless networks with XP SP1

Are you waiting for an available network to show up, and then connect? If so, you should go to Properties for the Wireless Network Connection and click on the "Wireless Networks" tab, then check "Use Windows to configure...." and add the network you are trying to connect to in the "Prefered Networks" Section.
Otherwise, perhaps you have WEP disabled, but Network Authentication required.

Regards.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us