Question : Am hooking up Linksys WRT54G router to dial return cable modem service from Communicom Cable.Netcommander.com. Cannot connect to internet.

I recently purchased a Linksys WRT54G wireless router in order to provide access to cable modem to more than one computer at my place of business. I have had the cable modem service for several years from a company called Communicom. Their cable service is called Netcommander and it is a dial return dial up/cable system where incoming info comes in over a Zenith cable modem and outgoing info go outs over a dial up connection. It is an antiquated system but all that is available in my rural area.

I have gone through the setup of the router and have wireless connection between my laptop computer and the modem but I cannot connect to the internet from either the laptop or the desktop computer wired directly to the router with an Ethernet cable. I have gone through the setup of the router using DCHP settings with an without netcommander.com entered into the domain field. Part of the problem may be that the connection to the internet has a dial up connection with an ip and MAC address as well as a LAN connection with an ip and MAC address. Can anybody tell me how to specifically set up this cable service? Linksys tech support and Netcommander tech support were unable to help. Thank you.

Answer : Am hooking up Linksys WRT54G router to dial return cable modem service from Communicom Cable.Netcommander.com. Cannot connect to internet.

If I'm not mistaken there is a tab you can choose inside the router configuration that lets you make a connection to your ISP......It may be under the connected tab?.

It sounds as if you will need to make a connection to your ISP while in the router. Make sure you have all the correct settings inside the router and then hit the connect button.

If you are unsure of your settings you will have to unhook the router and connect in the original way you had.......then write down all your settings or save them to the local box so you can manually install them once you have your router hooked back up.

Specifically you are looking for your gateway settings....an ipconfig /all should give you everything you need......
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us