Question : FRUSTRATED --- you might not have permission to use this network resource ----

HISTORY:

I have a simple office network which has been working fine for 3 years. I recently got a new machine and have come into a some problems.
The new machine has a shared folder  C:\BackEnd. This folder has an Accsss database in it which the other 2 machines connect to.
Everything works fine until I double click on the .mdb file from the back machine.  Once I do this the .mdb becomes inaccessable from the other 2 machines. Even if I try to copy paste from one of the 2 machines it I get "Cannot copy .mdb  Access is denied...."

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

I have always used the Simple File Sharing option. In trying to fix this problem I have turned this option off and tried to mess with the security settings. I discovered that initially the .mdb has the following Groups or User Names on the security tab...note that the the new machines is called SANDY and is registered to SANDY O

*** this configuration works well across the network
- Adminstrators (SANDY\Administrators)
- Everyone
- Guest (SANDY\Guest)
- SYSTEM
- Users (SANDY\Users)

When I edit the file the Groups or user names change to the following.

*** this configuration is F't
- Adminstrators (SANDY\Administrators)
- SANDY  (SANDY\SANDY )
- SYSTEM

NOTICE THAT THE Everyone group is gone. Again, this occurs if I edit the .mdb. I can add Everyone back and it works, but as soon as I edit the file from the new machines it removes it.

Answer : FRUSTRATED --- you might not have permission to use this network resource ----

Hi Tricks801,

If WinXP Pro is your new machine - what are the OS on the other machines and the file format (Fat32 or NTFS)?
More information would help - however for now

> if the WinXP Pro is the only NTFS machine on your network then your problem is definitely in NTFS....
There are no file/folder security in Fat32 so the only issue was Share permission, which were Everyone gets full control.
If you don't care for NTFS because it's giving you problem then set it to allow everyone permission to the file/folder (not recommended though)
Sharing:
a) right-click the folder | properties | Sharing tab | select Share this folder | Permission
b) Everyone ==> Allow full control | OK
NTFS:
a) click security tab | select users | allow Full Control | OK.....

cheers

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us