Question : NEtBIOS Names

I have staged a couple of servers in my office a few weeks ago.  We are running Windows 2003 within an AD domain.  Here's the issue.  When the servers were in my office, the servers were staged using my subnet.  Now that I have moved the servers to our server room which has a different subnet, I have noticed the servers can't be contacted or pinged using the server name (NetBIOS Name).  When I ping the servers name it returns with a "request timed out" pointing to the subnet the servers were staged.  

Here is an example of trying to ping the server using the server name (NetBIOS).  The server is called "SERVER-02".
C:\>ping server-02

Pinging server-02.ads.xxx.edu [###.###.181.72] with 32 bytes of data:      (this is pointing to the old subnet)

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for xxx.xxx.xxx.72:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, here is an example of pinging the server using the DNS entry.  See how it has a responce.
C:\>ping server02.xxx.xxx.edu

Pinging server02.xxx.xxx.edu [###.###.189.97] with 32 bytes of data:   (this is the correct subnet)

Reply from ###.###.189.97: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=126

Ping statistics for ###.###.189.97:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Granted, we had the DNS admin register these servers with a DNS name, so I can contact and ping the servers with the DNS name.  But how do I get the server name (NetBIOS name) to associate itself to the correct IP address, not the old IP?  I assumed moving the server to the new IP subnet the server would dynamically assign the new IP address with the server name.  But as you can see, that isn't the case.  After looking at all my servers, I see I have 2 more that are doing the same thing.  

Please help.  

Thanks
mchristo63

Answer : NEtBIOS Names

bit of an odd one this because, both pings are using DNS.  your 1st ping didn't resolve via NetBios, this can be seen because it resolved to a FQDN (server-02.ads.xxx.edu );

Pinging server-02.ads.xxx.edu

If it were using NetBios, it would have just been

Pinging server-02

Try flushing your DNS cache;
ipconfig/flushdns

if that doesn't help, try what SystmProg suggests (adding the servers into the LMHOSTS file) with the #PRE tag
Subnet1 ip address                 NETBIOS_NAME of Server     #PRE
Subnet2 ip address                 NETBIOS_NAME of Server     #PRE

and then reload the LMHOST cache
nbtstat -R

must be capital R.

hope that helps
D
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us