Question : Unable to Connect to Network Resources

Hey there,

I have a win2k domain which has ~20 PC's in a mixed environment (win2k, xp, 98).  I have two pc's which are dual hommed, one winxp pro sp2 and one win98.  These machines also connect to CNC machine controllers (running some type of DOS) via 10baset and netbui.  

On the xp machine I can't browse the network.  I can ping everything, but if I try to map drives (either through the 10bast network or otherwise) I get an error about the network not found.

The windows 98 machine connects to everything and I can even connect to a shared folder on the problem xp machine.  (so, I can get in but not out)

I noticed Event ID 8003 errors in reference to Master Browser problems on my domain controller and the problem child XP machine.  The computer listed in those errors is the win98 machine as follows:

Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer [the win98 PC] that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport Nbf_{15620881-D363-42D6-8290-A. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

I noticed that on the xp machine, the "Computer Browser" service is not even listed in services.  Also, BROWSER is not listed under HKLM\Currentcontrolset\services

Anyway, do you think my mapping and browsing issues are because of the Computer Browser service not being installed and how can I reinstall this service?

TIA

Answer : Unable to Connect to Network Resources

What concerns me is the dual-homed part of your network..  Each NIC on a dual-homed system should point to a different subnet..  what is your network setup?  Why are you using Dual-Homed systems here?  (in regards to dual-homing, you should make sure that these systems are not particapating in master browsing elections..)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us