Question : Browser Speed Problem

I thought I fixed it but it seems I haven't so I'll explain what happens and what I have tried to fix it and hopefully someone will find a solution for me.

Up until a couple of weeks ago everything was fine, but now when I use either Firefox or Explorer they are both very, very slow loading pages.  This issue occurs on all 3 user accounts on the PC, which is a home PC and not on a network.  I have ADSL2+ and when I go to speedtest.net it shows appropriate numbers for my connection, for ping, upload and download.  If I download a file the speed is generally ok as well so it's got me stumped as to why the browsers are so slow.

I have uninstalled the network card driver and reinstalled it and even tried the Vista generic driver for it and that didn't fix it.  I have changed the autotuning level to disabled (was on highly restricted) and got nothing.  I've tried using Open DNS addresses in TCP/IPv4, again no change.

As download speeds are ok I assume it's not a modem (Speedtouch 546v6) related problem, but something associated with Vista.  The only thing that works is if I go into the Network settings and create another connection to the internet and run it in tandem with the default connection.  However, this then shows that I'm connected to multiple networks (one connection uses WAN miniport and the other uses my network card) and when I log off or reboot and come back I have to reconnect to the second connection to get normal speed again.  Thinking that the newer connection was the one that provided the speed I disabled the other and we end up again with the same slow browsers.

If anyone can throw some ideas my way I would love to hear them and be appreciative of your help.

Answer : Browser Speed Problem

OK, first things first, use Super Anti-spyware to search and kill any adware, malware, spyware.  Then use your virus checker to scan for viruses.

Second, can you try a new or another network card?  I sometimes use a wireless dongle to test things - if same problem then you can rule out NIC or driver.  Try a new cable (if using one).

Thirdly, switch off firewall and try again

Fourthly, switch off security (WEP WPA etc.) try again.

Fifth, can you test with a different router?

And if all that fails, does your firewall report anything similar to a SYN Flood Attack?

However there is one other thing you could try if you have the resources and skills to do it.  Install Windows XP as a dual boot, boot into this and see if you get the same problem.

Let me know how these tests go.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us