Question : static ip vs dyndns

Hi,
Are there any drawback to using dyndns versus a static ip address?

I plan on using two internet connections with a dual WAN router to setup a web server at my house.  Normally I would configure the domain CNAME s the static ip address of my router.  However, I want to have 2 internet connections so I'll have failover protection and load balancing.  So that's why I'm considering going with a dynamic ip address and dyndns with 2 internet connections OR a static ip address with 1 internet connection.

What are the pro/cons to either scenario?

Thanks!

Answer : static ip vs dyndns

Using DNS as a fail over is not a good solution at all, either dyn or static.

Here are the problems I see with your plan:

I plan on using two internet connections with a dual WAN router to setup a web server at my house

It would probably be cheaper to rent server space than to own two internet connections.  You could probably get a dedicated server for that amount.

Normally I would configure the domain CNAME s the static ip address of my router.

CNAME records are name to name records, they do not point to an IP address.  So you would have to have an A record somewhere in there.  

However, I want to have 2 internet connections so I'll have failover protection and load balancing.

Depending on the router you purchase this may or may not be true.

So that's why I'm considering going with a dynamic ip address and dyndns with 2 internet connections OR a static ip address with 1 internet connection.

I dont think Dynamic DNS works the way you are thinking.  

My suggestion would be rent server space, unless there is some reason you insist on having it at your house.  
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us