Question : When importing my address book from embarqmail.com I get ,error message

I followed the instructions from embarqmail on how to export my address book. Then I opened
Outlook Express 2003 and followed their intructions on how to import a file from a specific location created by the embarqmail export process and I get this error message; Translation Error
---------------------------
A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to build a field map.

Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "C:\Documents and Settings\JG\My Documents\Contacts.csv". Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it, and that it is not open in another program.
Thanks JG

Answer : When importing my address book from embarqmail.com I get ,error message

You have to make sure that the order of the CSV matches the importing columns in outlook.

I.e. the CSV file has:
first name, last name, email address, phone, etc.

The outlook client expects:
email address, last name, first name, home address etc.

What you need to do is make sure to map the fields from the CSV to their matching fields in outlook.

The example I gave has a matching column names.  Outlook will auto match the column names.
The problem starts when the CSV has different column names:
field1, field2, field3, etc.

At this point the outlook import is unable to determine what is what which is likely partly responsible for the error you received.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us