Question : Is this an NT Permissions problem?

I have two NT4 standalone servers servers, connected over a TCP/IP network, I need to be able to run remote updates upon a database on the other server, these updates will be automatically run from within a web page when it recieves certain triggers.

I have written all the code to perform these actions but have run into problems accessing and updating the database.

I have duplicated the IUSR_Machine account from the machine that is running the process, and placed it on the remote server, but I am being refused access to the database (as I was told that this was my problem).
But I am still being refused access to the database.

Is this the correct approach to setting up an appropriate account for accessing the database?
Are there any other steps I need to take?

Answer : Is this an NT Permissions problem?

We have domains here... but here are some things to try/look at:

Go into User Manager on the system running your Access Database and go to POLICIES / USER RIGHTS and see who, if anyone, has rights to "Access this Computer Over the NEtwork".

If the EVERYONE group has the appropriate rights, see if you can open the EVERYONE group and add the IUSR_Machine from your web server.  On the add screen, you can either change the focus from your current machine to the web server, OR

click in the white box where the user names would go on the add screen and type in
webservername\IUSR_machine
and see if it takes it.  If it doesn't like that (because webserver is not a domain) sometimes it takes:
\\webservername\IUSR_machine.

Unfortunately, because there is no relationship between the two systems (e.g. a domain or workgroup) it may not let you do this.  If you can't do this, you are sort of stuck and may have to have the machines either join a workgroup or a domain.

If you can do that, it may help, then just make sure the EVERYONE group has access to the database.  You can make your own group, of course, and make sure it has the correct RIGHTS (User Manager / Policies) and permissions on the database and folders(instead of using EVERYONE.)

Even within ACCESS you can set up security, however, so you may still need to check that aspect.

Also, check permissions on the entire path to the database.  And remember, if you are using a SHARE, set the permissions on the SHARE to full control and then restrict it on the actual database folder or file.

Almost forgot!  Permissions problems can also occur if the IUSR_Machine account does not have permissions, at least READ/execute on the program folders, e.g. Microsoft Office.  I have been caught unawares by permissions problems where the users did not have read or read/execute on MSOFFICE folders which contained icons used to display things...so you need to not only look at permissions on the database itself, but also permissions on the programs used to run the database....

Hope this helps a little....
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us