Question : Internet access for LAN

Bit out of my depth here.
10 x XP Pro machines and a Windows 2000 server. NOT active directory, Server has bespoke software via mapped drives. Server provides dhcp
Just got DSL, dynamic ip address. Got Zoom x4 NAT router, can make work on single machine via the usb as that is seen as a different network connection. The routers ethernet connection will not play ball with the routers dhcp off. I cant leave it on as then I have two dhcp servers, sort of. If I disable the dhcp on the server and enter manual addresses then the router doesn't play ball because it seems to insist all machines are set to obtain ip addresses automatically. I can disable dhcp on the server and then let the router look after dhcp but is that wise, a £60 box reponsible for the network addresses. I have tried all sorts of gateway/proxy settings. Have I got the wrong sort of router here? If so what do I need (UK) to get these 10 machines onto a dsl dynamic ISP (Tiscali).
PS, no email is needed as one POP box suffices.
Many thanks

Answer : Internet access for LAN

It sounds like the Router has a default ip subnet address which is mismatched to the one the other dchp server you have on your network is handing out - so if the router doesnt assign, the others and it wont see each other. This can be solved eitehr by configuring the IP settings on teh router to DCHP off and an set an IP and Subnet to macth the other DCHP servers range, or by turning off the other DCHP server and allowing the router to handle it. I'd recommend letting the Router do it - as for it being cheap for DCHP, it does the job and its not the hardest job in the world so let it get on with it! Unless you have active directory or somethig similar, then DCHP may as well come from a router - it means all the machines will get correct Internet access.

sshelton2
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us