Question : Simultaneous Ad-hoc and infrastruture config?

I roam a lot with my WinXP laptop and hence its IP address changes quite frequently. I just got a PocketPC and have set up to sync using wifi at home. To do this I had to create a VPN on the laptop to which the PDA will connect. My issue is that if my laptops IP changes when I roam then the PDA will not be able to sync to the VPN because it's IP has changed. I would need to go in and change the info on the PDA itself to match the new IP on the laptop.

So, if I want to use wi-fi all the time to synch my PDA with my laptop I would have to have an adhoc network for their IPs to remain consistent, right?
And if I wanted to be able to access the internet with my laptop whever it came in range to an AP it would have to be set on infrastructure, right?
Is it possible to set up a wifi card to act with two interfaces? one as ad-hoc and one as infrastructure? Or do you see another way around my situation ie) is there a way to have a static IP on my laptop which my PDA could connect to but at the same time be able to receive a dynamic IP from a DHCP server for internet access?

Thanks a lot.
Josh

Answer : Simultaneous Ad-hoc and infrastruture config?

Have you got Bluetooth on either device? I had the same secenario and couldn't find a solution that worked.
In the end I got a USB bluetooth adapter for my main computer as the Pocket PC already had Bluetooth.

The only other solution would be to use two different network cards - one with a fixed IP on your Ad-Hoc network and another with DHCP for roaming.

Simon.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us