Question : I want to use one cat5 jack for voice and data without a pbx system

A quick background, I'm running a small business that has a call center. I'm currently using a virtual pbx which is fine for now, but eventually, I will have to redirect the virtual pbx to land lines.

In the office that I'm looking at, there is only one jack with cat5 for every cubicle. I'm assuming that this is supposed to somehow carry data and voice. What kind of a phone do I get that accepts cat5 and somehow let's a computer run on the internet, and what kind of setup do I need in the central closet? Is there anyway to do this without running a hardware pbx?

At the end of the day, I just want everyone to have their own phone line plus internet. I don't understand how to avoid dealing with that weird monster like thing with all the wires coming out of the server room where the old pbx used to be, and I don't understand how the voice and data will come over one line unless it is some kind of VOIP type pbx which sounds even less reliable. I just need something cheap and simple. Help!

Answer : I want to use one cat5 jack for voice and data without a pbx system

>I can get full 100mbps using only 2 pair?

Yes.

>The previous user seemed to only need the one port, so how come they could do both voice and data without rewiring?

Don't know. Could they have been using VoIP?

>Isn't there some kind of adapter I could buy that just splits it into two?

I haven't seen one. But it wouldn't be hard to do.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us