Question : DNS Shows 2 Different FQDNs For 1 IP Address

Hi All
we are running W2K3 svr and XP clients. A lot of the clients are notebooks and do not always get logged off the network correctly.  I have noticed we are getting some (not a lot)instances in DNS where the one IP address is assigned to two different computers. DNS has automatic scavenging enabled with a period of 1 day (reduced to 1 day in an effort to solve this problem). The issue seems to be in the reverse DNS, the forward lookup zones look ok. Could this be causing problems, i cant say i have noticed any issues on the network as a result. It has been suggested that maybe only the DHCP should be registering in DNS and not the clients. We have an engineer configuring MACs on the network and he says he cannot bind the MACs to the directory with this issue as you can have the one IP address which will keep returning different names for the client

thanks

Answer : DNS Shows 2 Different FQDNs For 1 IP Address

If DHCP is on a DC, it will not update an existing A record, and just create a new record. To correct this and make DHCP update the A record you need to make DHCP the owner of the A record.

A couple different ways to do it. The first is the one you mentioned where you set the option in the properties of the DHCP server to use credentials and force update DNS. (This is what learned to do it and I know this works since... I actually do it)

Another way I know of, but have not tried myself, is to add the DC/DHCP server to the DnsUpdateProxy group in the Users OU.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us