Question : DNS dummy question from newbie administrator

Hi all, I am not too good with DNS yet so please bear with me.
Our company network consists of Advanced Server 2000 DC's, Windows XP Pro workstations and a Unix Firewall / Proxy server going through a netgear router.

Initially we set all our workstations to use the proxy server as the preferred dns server and default gateway (As instructed by a keep it to yourself 3rd party support firm). If we do this, the Internet connection is trouble free but we have difficulty accessing network resources & drives.

If we set the workstations to use our PDC as the preferred dns server network access is fine but we have trouble accessing certain websites.

If we set the workstations to use our PDC as the alternate dns server and add it as an alternative gateway, sometimes both Internet and network are fine, other times they are not. If we reverse this setup we get the same result.

We have been playing about with these settings for some time now and I really need to know if there is a simple way to ensure reliable access for both Internet & Network.

Answer : DNS dummy question from newbie administrator

I'm really glad things are working for you now, and here are my two cents on this:

First off, even Windows 2000 Servers should list the Windows DNS as the Preferred DNS Server.
Second, I agree with perplexd that your gateway should probably be the firewall in all instances.  I'm guessing that the firewall is connected to the PABX to get to the internet.  If that's the case, I'm wondering why the PABX is connected to the internal network.  Passing thru the firewall should be the path to the internet for the workstations, and I mean physically the only path, not just via settings.

Given that my assumptions are correct (and I don't know your exact configuration), I'd say that barring some server connections (which really should be on a DMZ network segment or filtered thru the firewall) that require it, the PABX should not be connected to the rest of the network and only to the firewall.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us