Question : Mail server recommended for small-medium size company

Hi,

We are having problems with our current mail server (SL-mail v6.3 on Windows 203 server). Mainly the issues are how it handles incoming messages with DKIM-signature and messages over 1024 characters in header length.

I need a mail server that:

- It is easy to setup and maintain
- Handles this issue without corrupting incoming mails
- Has excellent antispam/antivirus integration
- Good security features
- It does not need to handle more than 1.000 accounts, though we do not care if it does
- Has search facility for archived mails
- Has archiving facility for incoming and outgoing mail (each mail and individual file)
- Has web mail integrated, though it is not somthing we are going to use extensively
- Collaboration features are not a must, though they are welcome as a plus
- We do not use outlook, so outlook integration is not relevant. We use Eudora, but would be willing to move to a different client if recommended (please do recommend)
- Web interface for remote administration

Please do not include Notes/Domino (tried, not like it), or Exchange (too complex to setup and maintain for our needs).

It will most likely be placed in a Windows 2003 machine or Windows 2008 server machine.

TIA

Answer : Mail server recommended for small-medium size company

I have to disagree about Exchange being an obvious target. The combination of IIS 6 and Exchange 2003 on a dedicated server has not been compromised to date. Most compromises of IIS come through dodgy third party applications on top.

As for "integration" with Eudora, Exchange has a POP3/IMAP interface. However if you are not going to use the collaboration features then it may well be a bit over the top.
You cannot disable the collaboration features, so if you purchase Exchange then the users will use the features, particularly if you those who have used an Exchange based system before. You cannot stop users arranging meetings etc. Even if you do not use Outlook as the client, then they can do the same thing through OWA.

My first email server was a bog standard IMAP/POP3 server (can't remember which one) with Squirelmail on top for the web interface.

Given your requirements are fairly basic, I personally would steer clear of the two major collaboration servers of both Notes and Exchange.

On your list of requirements - there is no AV, web based management without third party tools. All email corruption I have seen with Exchange has been caused by third party tools, AV being the usual culprit, but firewalls that scan SMTP traffic have caused issues.
It will do archiving at the point of delivery, but again a third party tool is required to get the best from it.

Simon.

Simon.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us