Question : Cant connect to a remote XP server using RDS via NetGear RP614 Router

Hi,

I am an absolute newbee when it comes to networking...

I am using a 256 Kbps broadband connection from Hathway (ISP). If I directly plug the cable to my laptop/Pc w/ all configurations then I am able to successfully connect to a remote XP server in the US using terminal services.

But strangely if I connect the ISP's cable to the Netgear router which in turn is connected to a switch and then try to access the XP server thru terminal services it just doesn't connect. Gives a "Network Error" msg.

Similarly when using my mail client if my emails have attachments they just dont go, but it works fine if the ISP cable is directly plugged into a pc/laptop.

I am pretty sure it has something to do w/ the netgear configuration, and have looked into every aspect of it. But unfortunately couldn't figure out where the problem could be....

Any idea? I'd really appreciate it if anybody could solve this problem asap.

Thanks

Econify

Answer : Cant connect to a remote XP server using RDS via NetGear RP614 Router

Terminal Services requires TCP port 3389 to be open throuigh the firewall, make sure the Netgear device is not blocking that port.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp

As far as mail attachments does it block all types of attachments? Have you tried sending just a notepad or other plain text document?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us