Question : Data center disaster recovery

If you have a medium to large size data center and there was suddenly a disaster causing an outage...how would you get the network back online?  i.e. which devices in the data center would you bring up and in what order?  I realize that responses will differ depending upon the specific equipment in the data center.

Answer : Data center disaster recovery

As the previous folk already mentioned... there are different approaches for doing this. Thought I would share the high-level process we use...

We leverage remote, on-line backups in conjuction with server virtualization to restore in the event of a disaster. For the backups, we keep a copy on-site to quickly restore directories, files, db's or servers for any isolated incidents. The data is also sent off-site automatically with each backup. There are different options available depending on what your objectives are. For example, we leverage CDP (Continuous Data Protection) in cases where we need to meet very stringent recovery point objectives. You can also keep several generations available in cases where you may need to recover from things such as data corruption.

For the off-site restore, we take a 2 step approach. We restore our customer's data at our data center and host back to them on a virtualized platform. This provides them with a cloud computing environment. The process begins with restoring the DCs and then the DR plan defines what servers should be brought up first. This provided the ability to quickly get the business back on-line (usually in a matter of hours). User's can dial into their mission critical apps from anywhere they have an internet connection. During this phase, the backups continue.  Step 2 involves either migrating back to the primary site or a permanent second site.

We also work with a partner to take care of all the physical assets in the event of a disaster. This includes the hardware (Desk, chairs,pc's, phones, etc...), power and connectivity.

More details about our service is available at www.tpartners.com.

Hope that helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us