Question : Need to move user FROM domain into local workgroup... using Win XP SP2

We had set up a domain, and I have a user associated with that domain.  Now we have abandoned the domain, and I need to move the user into a local workgroup on a simple XP network.  I'm using Win XP SP2, and am told Moveuser won't work.  Even if it did, not sure how to move FROM a domain and into a workgroup.

Any ideas?

Answer : Need to move user FROM domain into local workgroup... using Win XP SP2

Here's how you do it.  I'm assuming there's a copy of the user's domain user profile on the local machine.  You can check this by right-clicking on 'My computer' and choosing 'properties' and then 'user profiles.'  Even if the user's profile is roaming you're ok.  Now log in to the machine that has the copy of the user's profile as another administrative user like the domain admin.  You just need to have rights to everything on the box and not be the user whose profile you want to move.  At this point all you need to do is fire up Windows Explorer, change Tools->FolderOption->View settings so you can see hidden files and unhide protected operating system files.  It will squawk at you but do it anyways.  Now browse to 'c:\documents and settings' or if you have a profile folder on the server, browse there.  Select the folder that holds the user's profile, right click and choose 'copy'  Now just left click on docs and settings again to select it, right click on it, and choose 'paste.'  It will make a 'copy of the user you wish to save his vacation pics' directory.  Now you have a virtually indestructible-by-domain-removal copy of the stuff.  Now disjoin the pc from the domain, create a user account for the user we're moving, preferably with the same login name, and then log in as that user.  Now log out.  Look in docs and settings and you'll see a new profile dir for your new local user.  Browse over to the backup folder we made a bit ago.  Don't select this folder, instead select all of its contents, right click to copy, and paste them into and over the contents of the dir created when you logged into the new local user account.  It will squawk.  Say yes overwrite doggonit.  Now login as new local user again, voila! Britney Spears wallpaper is back!

- Travis
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us