Question : \\Servername is redirecting to the Inetpub\wwwroot directory

1.) The airhandler in our server room malfunctioned and the room became a sauna
2.) Out NAS blew the motherboard
3.) We pulled the drives and dropped them and the controller in another DC, and then created the share we needed
4.) We then redirected DNS for NASSERVER to TEMPSERVER

5.) Whenever we pull up \\NASSERVER we now get the TEMPSERVER's inetpub\wwwroot folder.

Any help here would be great

Answer : \\Servername is redirecting to the Inetpub\wwwroot directory

Actually, you can, but you must be renaming a 2003 domain controller:
http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_domain_controller_rename.htm

Good luck with this - I've occasionally tried this with Windows systems and as far as I've seen, it cannot be reliably done.  In theory, DNS should work, but it doesn't in my experience for accessing shares.

www.optimumx.com (which appears down at the moment) is where I found the alias tool, here's a copy and paste of the google cache about the tool:

Network Alias v1.00 (NetAlias.exe)   Last Updated: 10/02/2003

Displays, adds or removes NetBIOS names for the Server service. This allows a computer to be accessed using an alias, or a name other than the computer name. The Server service will also announce this alias to the browse list where it will be displayed in apps such as My Network Places and the NET VIEW command. Use 'NetAlias /?' to view the syntax.

NOTE: The new name may not appear in the browse list immediately, it may take up to 48 minutes, depending on the complexity of your network. Likewise, names removed from the network are not immediately removed from the browse list, it may take up to 72 minutes. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 188001, 102878 and 150800.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us