Question : Wireless networking intermittent connection problem

I have a new notebook computer which I connect to the Internet wirelessly at home and at work.

When I am at work, I don't seem to struggle to connect to any website, but at home, I can only connect to a few, I get an IE7 error screen saying that I cannot connect to site xxx. When I try to ping the site, the URL seems to resolve to an IP address, but I do not get a reply.

Strangely, I can connect to news.bbc.co.uk at both locations, I know it is not cached since the content is up to date every time, the same with www.theaa.com. However, technet.microsoft.com will only connect consistently at work, as will Google and many others.

Sometimes, I don't have any problem at home sometimes, but I can't see a pattern in whether I get a connection or not.

Does anyone have any idea how to track this down? I'm thinking maybe a DNS or firewall (Trend PC-Cillin) problem on the notebook?

TIA

Madrilleno

Answer : Wireless networking intermittent connection problem

I think I have traced this to a compatibility issue between my D-Link access points and my Toshiba notebook. I have replaced the one of the Dlinks with a Belkin unit and the connection is fine. If I try the D-Link unit in the other room, it still fails to connect porperly. I'm going to replace that one with a Belkin as well.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us