Question : Restoring Windows 2000 DC server

I am restoring my Windows 2000 DC in my test environment from Backup.  This server has all the roles, the hardware is the same and so is the computer name, IP address and Winnt folder.  I installed Windows 2000 workgroup server, I booted up DS safe mode and I restore the system state.  

After I reboot the server it doesn’t appear to have Active Directory and there is no SYSVOL shared folder?  I am however able to open AD if I go into winnt/system32 folder.  but it's not in Administrator Tools.  I am able to create OU but I get the following error message if I try to create a new user. “Windows cannot create the object: the directory service was unable to allocate a relative identifier”

I also get these error messages

Event ID 16650

The account-identifier allocator failed to initialize properly.  The record data contains the NT error code that caused the failure.  Windows 2000 will retry the initialization until it succeeds; until that time, account creation will be denied on this Domain Controller.  Please look for other SAM event logs that may indicate the exact reason for the failure.

Event ID 5706

The Netlogon service could not create server share C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol The following error occurred:
The system cannot find the file specified.

event ID 1000

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects . A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by this policy engine.

Answer : Restoring Windows 2000 DC server

you have to restore c:\ non destructively while in DR mode and system state.
there is no c:\winnt\sysvol folder for it to place the scripts and the policies in
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us