Question : Troubleshooting Catalyst 2950 Gigabit Interface

Hi everyone,

I am up a paddle again and would appreciate any help with this. I am not a Cisco networking engineer by trade but have some knowledge of how to administer these devices.

I have a problem, there are two Cisco Catalyst 2950 switches with a fibre gigabitethernet connection between them. At the moment the gigabitethernet0/1 interface on both switches are in a down state. Whenever it try to shutdown \ bring up the interface it just fails and the interface stays down.

I suspect the cabling between the two switches to be the fault. However how can i confirm this from the switch console? Is there any debugging or error messages i should be looking for?

These switches have been in and running happy for a few months, it was only this morning for no reason they have dropped the connection between them. The configuration on the switches hasnt changed. How would i be able to tell if there was a hardware fault with the interface in the switch?

Thanks for your help with this.

Answer : Troubleshooting Catalyst 2950 Gigabit Interface

Satchellowe

to move the send and receive of the fiber switch is what JAR3817 has explained

Do you have spare gbic's (gigabit interface cards) of the router.  Maybe one of the gbic isn't working.

The light idea of JAR3817 is a good idea, i agree that for now it more sounds like a cable or gbic issue and not switch related, try to exclude the cable and gbic issue

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us