Question : Having VPN problems, Linksys RV042, SBS2003 - Connects to router but no route to LAN

Hey everybody!

I wonder if you kind and talented people can help me!

My customer has:

SBS2003
5 XP Pro Clients
2 Mobile users

Server is Dell PowerEdge SC240 - Celeron!! (yuk)
D-Link DSL-300T Ethernet DSL modem
Linksys RV042 VPN Router

I'm having trouble accessing the domain with a VPN connection. RRAS is enabled and seems OK, on the Linksys I've configured a Client to Gateway VPN tunnel with their static IP address (Gateway), and I selected the remote client as having dynamic IP + domain name to authenticate. The local group IP range is 192.168.16.0 - 150 - which is the internal network (the server has 2 NICs, one for DSL 192.168.0.3 and the other internal 192.168.16.2 - are these ranges normal ie. no bridge/same subnet?).

I downloaded the Linksys QuickVPN client software, inputted a relevant username and password with the router's WAN IP in the server address to connect to. It connects but doesn't seem to route it to the LAN as I can only get remote management (to the router). I don't get assigned a 192.168.16.X IP - the dial-up 81.X.X.X remains. Maybe I should be using the XP VPN connection - but that doesn't work either - What am I doing wrong.

This description is probably missing bits you need to know so please tell me what you need.

Thanks in advance

Aljeebo

Answer : Having VPN problems, Linksys RV042, SBS2003 - Connects to router but no route to LAN

Hi Aljeebo,

Sorry to hear about the failing D-Link modem, I hope you can replace it with another device soon.

Yes, even if the subnet mask is the same, as the ranges itself are different (16.x instead of 1.x) the devices are not in the same subnet and will need some form of routing to communicate together as is now done by your SBS server. The client, in this case QuickVPN however doesn't know anything about the existing SBS server and won't forward the requests.

There's a nice article about subnetting on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork especially the short part about the network and hostpart of a subnetmask.

About Hamachi, although I'm personally using it, I don't see it as anything which should be used on a company network. There's very little security on hamachi, anyone knowing the networkname and password is by default allowed to see everything on the network, which effectively also means there's little to no authorisation within hamachi.
The best use for Hamachi is IMO to connect your computer to the ones of your friends to share some files and/or to play some games.

LucF
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us