Question : Find IP from MAC ID

I am trying to find an IP address from a MAC ID.

We have a large campus network with many wireless access points throughout. Lately, we have noticed unidentified access points appear when performing a scan with NetStumbler.

I want to try and determine the IP address of the unidentifies APs so that I can attempt to connect to them to figure out who they belong to. They are not secured (no WEP - according to Netstumbler).

Can you help?

-Cyrax-

Answer : Find IP from MAC ID

Connect to the default gateway for the segments you're talking about.  Look in the ARP table to associate MAC to an IP address.

Hopefully, you're using managed switches - you could instead look through your switches to find that MAC table, figure out which port their on, and then trace down the cabling - according to your documentation and go right to where the rouge AP is plugged in and confiscate it!

I thought NetStumbler gives you IP addresses...

You could also do some SNMP scans through your network, and you might find some rouges ... some good tools for SNMP scanning, Switch Port Mapping, etc are http://solarwinds.net/Tools/Engineer/index.htm - I highly recommend them for this type of work - especially if you've got a large "campus" ;)

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us