Question : Trying to share printer with Belkin wireless router

I just bought a Belkin wireless router. I have no problem sharing my my DSL connection but I don't know how to set up to share my printer. My Host PC has Win 2K and my added PC has Win XP. I installed a USB wireless adapter on the the XP PC.

Please Help Me?
Larry

Answer : Trying to share printer with Belkin wireless router

Larswebb,

I have tried to spell everything out here that I may have assumed you already had working or established.  Don;t worry, you aren't the first to pull your hair out trying to get all this stuff working . . . nor do I expect you will be the last!

Having had a chance to look at a more similar configuration to yours, you're right, that path doesn't exist -- not in your configuration.

First of all, you need to make sure your XP machine is in the same "workgroup" as the host machine (and that the two machines have unique names).  To view / change your workgroup and/or computer name,

on Win 2k:
      1. Right-click "my computer" and select "properties"
      2. Choose the "Network Identification" tab
      >> To change Workgroup continue with the steps below:
      3. Click on "Properties"
      4. Make sure the workgroup radio button is selected
      5. Enter / change the workgoup and/or computer name
      6. Click OK twice and restart the computer when prompted

on Win XP:
      >> Since the display and menu settings are so configurable on XP, step 1 may seem strage.:
      1. Click START and then select "Run".  Type "c:\" in the "Open" field and then click OK.  This will bring up an explorer window.
      2. Press the BACKSPACE key on the keyboard.  This will navigate up one level to "My Computer"
      3. Right-click on an empty portion of the main window pane (not on a file or folder) and select "Properties".
      4. Click on the "Computer Name" tab.
      5. Click on "Change".
      6. Go to step 4 under Win2k and proceed to the end, restarting the machine.

Anmyway, once that's all taken care of, the two machines will be in the same workgroup.

If you haven't already done so, make sure File and Print sharing are enabled (as mentioned in previous post) as well as the individual printer itself (as in a previous post).

Now on the machine which will use the shared printer, click on START and select "Network places".  Now, unlike my previous post said, you should see in the left half of the "My Network Places" window, under "Network Tasks", "View workgroup computers".  Click on "View workgroup computers".  You should see your local computer as well as the host machine in the main window pane.  Double-click on the host machine (whatever you named it).  You may be prompted to log in.  Log in and check remember password if you wish.  This will bring up the shared resources on the host machine.  If th printer is being shared properly, you should see the printer.  Right-click on the icon and select connect.

You will now be able to use the shared printer on the hoest machine.

P.S.  Ad-hoc mode is not necessary for your confiuration, so ignore what I had mentioned about it in your USB configuration from an earlier post.

P.P.S. I really hope this gets you going.  Sorry, but there really are several layers to getting it to work.

--

mrdtn
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us