Question : Options for ISP filtering end users equipment

I've just had a heated phone call with my ISP.

I've recently signed up for Fiber internet, here in Japan through NTT (OCN).  The technician came out to the place, ran a fiber wire, and everything in between.  He ended up dropping off 3 pieces of equipment.  1 - the Fiber modem, 2 - a piece-o-crap router, and 3 - a VOIP box.

I have my own router (c1841) that I will be using, and I told the technician that I didn't need anything except the modem.

And thus began the sherades of where I'm at now.  The technician didn't know anything more than running cable, and testing the wire once it was installed...  So I ended up having to call the ISP.

After about a half hour of going back and forth, and finally getting it into the phone-support's head (Seriuosly, in this one phone call, I was told that if I have a problem with my Cisco router, that I need to call Cisco) - that I'll be using my OWN router, and not their piece o' crap...  The support staff ends up telling me that it's not possible, and that I HAVE to use their router for service.

Nothing agrivates me more than ignorance on behalf of lazyness.  - So basically, that phone call went from "bad" to "worse" - until I was basically hung up on.

So, apart from the long story, We're up to date on where I'm at now.

---------------

After some very quick research (seriously - it's the first hit on google when I searched) - I came to their english translation of their service page:

https://506506.ntt.com/english/ocn/hikari/hikari_flets/answer.html

What kind of terminal equipment do I need in order to use the OCN Hikari with FLET'S service?
A4
The required interface is either 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. To use the service, you need to have a LAN card and cable of your own. Also, network protocol is PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet).
NTT East/NTT West will later send you the driver for PPPoE, after you applied for OCN Hikari "B FLET'S"/"FLET'S Hikari Premium". Please install the delivered driver and use the service.
Also, if you have applied for OCN .phone (IP phone service), do not use the PPPoE driver "FLET'S connection Kit". Instead, please refer to the manual that came with the IP phone equipment delivered by NTT East/NTT West or check the website.
For further details, please contact NTT East/NTT West.

----------------------------------------

So, obviously, using a different router is possible...  But if someone could throw ideas at me on how to get it all working, It would be appreciated.

When I try the Cisco router, it doesn't obtain an address.  Also, when I connect the modem directly into a laptop and try a PPPoE connection to the ISP, same issue.

My guess is that they're doing MAC address filtering at the ISP.  Are there other ways to filter from an ISPs standpoint?

I'm at work now, so I won't be able to do anything until later, but if anybody has any fuel for my fire - please shoot them my way.

Answer : Options for ISP filtering end users equipment

First I would hook up their equipment and get it all working.

After that, you have 2 options:
1. replicate their router config on your Cisco
2. put their "crappy router" in bridge mode and then yours behind it.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us