Question : Networking a Mac & PC with File and Internet Access Sharing

Okay, first bear with me. I am a total newbie at networking. I am not even sure if I am at Networking 101, so with that in mind:

I need to network a PC and an iMac together to share files and a cable modem internet access. Possibly a printer as well.

The PC is Windows 98 (not SE) Pentium II 400mHz with 256 MB RAM. It has a (Time Warner Cable) RoadRunner installed 3Com Etherlink XL TPO 10mb Ethernet NIC with a Toshiba external cable modem. The coaxial cable runs from the wall to the cable modem, and there is a cord running from the cable modem to the 3Com inside the PC. There are no free USB ports, in fact I will probably need a USB port hub pretty soon. The seriel ports are taken up as well.

The iMac is a G3 333mHz with 32MB RAM, OS 9 with a built in 10/100 base T Ethernet. There is nothing else hooked up to the iMac besides the keyboard and mouse.

I am a PC person, I had to look for the button to turn the iMac on when I got it, so I have ordered a "Mac for Dummies" book ;)

I can have two IP addresses through RoadRunner Cable Internet Access. I have ZoneAlarm firewall running on the PC, and need to watch my security as I am pinged to death all day.

In this situation, what would be the best way to set this all up? What equipment do I need and what gets plugged where? I am looking for a detailed explanation so I can follow directions, basically :)

Thanks for any volunteers to help this poor newbie,
Gina

Answer : Networking a Mac & PC with File and Internet Access Sharing

ravenone,
  The cable dsl router still only uses 1 ip, not 2.

Gina,
  Any hub will do, as your only talking 2 computers, bandwith consuption is really not going to be a issue. Once you plug everything in like i mentioned above, just turn on the computers. The pc will automaticaly get an ip (from Time Warner) through the cable modem, and the hub. If the mac is set up right to obtain an ip automaticaly (dhcp), it 2 will also get an ip. At that point, you can start surfing the web from eighter computer.

Up to you (via others sugestions) what third party software to use to get the pc and mac to "talk".

Shep

To all experts following this...

This question has 2 parts,
- to get both the mac and pc to use the cable modem
- to get the mac and pc to "talk"
since its been pretty much answered how to get both to use the cable modem direct, please stick to the remaining issue on getting the two computers to talk. Wast of everybodys time comming back to read sugestions on solved issues.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us